Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Smoked

On the way to work this morning, I was following a large landscape truck. Suddenly white thick billowing smoke began to pour out the smokestack on top of the cab of the truck. Instantly the smoke covered all three lanes, and I was engulfed in it. I could not see anything. I was afraid to drive forward because I couldn't see where the truck was, but I was afraid to stop for fear the cars behind me would run into me. As I crept thru the smoke, the truck pulled into the right hand lane and I was able to pass him. Two cars beside me were also creeping along. We three emerged from the smoke and must have all been quite confused and disoriented from the smoke, for suddenly I realized there was a red light right in front of us. The first car to my left went halfway thru the light before he realized and slammed on his brakes. The car behind him swerved wildly to miss him and pulled around him right through the red light. Fortunately no cars hit them in the intersection.

The experience made me think how dangerous confusion and darkness is and how we must be alert and aware even after coming through a time of danger or despair so that we do not make poor decisions. Distractions can turn our eyes away from Christ and allow us to walk right into catastrophe.

"You, O LORD, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light;" "Therefore, holy ones, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus . . . " (Ps. 18:28; Heb. 3:1)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home