Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Shady Days

I read an article in the June Reader's Digest about a little girl who can't be in the sun ever. All the windows have to be tinted and she can't even be in the room if the outside door is opened. If she goes outside during the day, she wears a protective suit and goggles that cover her completely. Her skin cannot repair itself from sun damage. They even built her an indoor swing set in her house so she could play. God created our skin and bodies so amazingly and we take it so for granted... until something malfunctions.

The sun can be relentless, even when we don't have such a drastic disease -- so shade is wonderful! Our Memorial Day Picnic yesterday was so much more pleasant under the huge shade trees at Fort Christmas Park. We would have cooked in the 99 degree weather without shade.

I noticed this morning that wherever trees shade the grass in our yard, it is thick and green. But in the sunny areas, the grass is dry and browning. What a difference shade makes.

I love to sit in the shade and feel the cool breeze and enjoy the birdsongs. When I was a young girl, I loved to climb under the branches of the bushes and sit in my own secret hiding place in the shade of the bush surrounded by the smell of the fresh earth and greenery.

But how much more refreshing it is to sit in the shade of the Lord...

The LORD himself watches over you!
The LORD stands beside you as your protective shade.
The sun will not hurt you by day, nor the moon at night.
The LORD keeps you from all evil and preserves your life.
The LORD keeps watch over you as you come and go,
both now and forever.
Psalm 121:5-8 NLT

1 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Blogger Mike said...

See, I told you that you would be good at this. Isn't it fun? Keep it up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home