Tuesday, June 29, 2004

God's Creatures

We found a chicken in the courtyard at church yesterday. He's only a chick and so tame. He walked right onto my hands. He reminded me of when I was at Harding many years ago and my friend found a newly hatched rooster at the city dump. He imprinted on her and followed her everywhere. She kept him in her room in the dorm for weeks until the dorm mother found out. He would run up and down the dorm hall after her and ride on her steering wheel in her car.

I brought our chicken home last night, temporarily (as Steve emphatically declared.) Jen and I held him for hours. He loved to sit on her shoulder like a parrot, but also thought it was fun to peck on her neck and ear. When we were ready to go to bed, I put him out on the patio and he cried and cried at the sliding glass doors to be let in. He thinks he's a person already.

My grandparents had chickens in Colorado and I don't remember a single one of them being friendly. They would peck and shriek at me anytime I went to gather eggs and didn't want anything to do with us. Last night I marveled at "Cheepers" antics and was amazed that God would give even a chicken curiosity and interest in people. What a marvelous God!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home